If you love the thought of wearing a red lipstick to amp up your confidence, but your worried about the practicalities then read on for our top tips.
Top tips for a red lip
1. Make sure that your lips are in top shape. Use a gentle lip scrub, use lots of lip balm (my current fave is Lip Shit, (no really – that’s what it’s called), and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Blot away any excess before applying colour.
2. Start with a pencil. This will help stop the lipstick from bleeding around the edges of your lips. Colour your whole lip in, rather than just lining the outside.
3. After applying the first layer of lipstick blot with a tissue and then reapply a second coat. This will stop your lips looking so bare when the lipstick starts wearing away.
4. Choose a matte formula. The shinier a lipstick is the quicker it will smudge, fade or rub away. Make sure that your matte isn’t too drying though.
5. Choose the right red for your skin tone. Do you suit a cool toned red? Or is a warm orange-red more your style. Try colours on before your big day so that you know that you’ll have a red lipstick that looks great on you.
Makeup Artists' Favourite Reds
Stila Liquid Lipstick in Beso is a bright, true red liquid lipstick.
It is easy to apply, highly pigmented and is infused with Vitamin E so it won’t dry out your lips, and is super long wearing.
RRP $34 available at Mecca
Stunna Lip Paint Longwear Fluid Lip Color in Uncensored caused a world wide sensation when it was released. Marketed as the red lip that will suit every skin tone it is being called the “perfect univeral red”
RRP $36 available at Sephora AU